Sunday, July 14, 2013


Hello!

I've been meaning to get this guy fully rendered. I drew this line art in flash a few weeks ago. I liked how it turned out, but since then this character has evolved into something more. I thought I'd do a sort of throw back to my earlier style. I always loved other artist's progression art dumps, and perhaps more for myself than anyone else, I need to see how far I've really come. I'll post that at the end of this post.



I've talked about not being inspired to draw ever since I started college. A lot of it has been a lack of motivation, but taking those drawing classes made me almost retreat to a blank slate. My drawings throughout school looked like those that I have criticized both on the internet and my peers as being not 'good enough'. Instead of worrying about what I wanted  it to look like, I was worrying about how accurate my anatomy was... it was very demeaning towards myself and I stopped drawing all together, which I realize is the last thing needed when I had an art block as big as I did. 

So, long story short, this is the first piece that I've drawn start to finish since I've gotten out of college. I'm sure that there are some issues with it, but I was mainly concerned with just getting something to a state that I was comfortable showing others, or even simpler, just to be able to say that I did something this weekend.



I finished this last night, and as I was looking over it this morning, I realized that I could go a lot further with it. I had sort of rushed through the painting process in order to 'finish' it last night so I could go to bed. I didn't want to leave it like that... so I painted over it this morning and come up with this!
I think this is a big improvement! The character pops out from the background and features like the hair, tail, markings, anything that is glowing has more definition. I am much happier with this, and I've learned that I must not end the process prematurely. 

As promised, here is that art drop I mentioned in the beginning of this post. These are snippits taken out of my 2006/07 sketchbook. At this time, I was just starting college. There are a lot of fox-type animals, and cats... little obsessed at this time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment